Thursday, October 11, 2018

Being Real about Christians, Mental Health, and Suicide: Tommie Kessler’s Story



I have begun freelancing for Spokane FAVS. My latest piece, "Being Real about Christians, Mental Health, and Suicide: Tommie Kessler’s Story," is one I'd like to share with you on my blog. It's a heavy topic, but one I tried to approach with hope and great care.

------

Being Real about Christians, Mental Health, and Suicide: Tommie Kessler’s Story By Cassy Benefield

Tommie Kessler is an active Christian, a missionary kid, a passionate servant to individuals with special needs, a Jesus lover, and someone suffering from bipolar disorder who has survived multiple suicide attempts.

Kessler, age 13, with her dad, Tom, and brother, Tim, their first week as missionaries in Colombia, South America/Contributed






















And on Friday her story, along with the stories of others affected by suicide in some way, will be displayed in black and white photographs as part of Grace June’s “Survive Project Art Show” that will take place at the Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (1832 W. Dean Ave.), from 5-8 p.m.

Kessler’s story with mental illness and suicide is not an uncommon one, but it is an uncommonly known struggle in many of the Christian circles to which she’s belonged.

For Kessler, she thought there was something wrong with her because she believed she was not supposed to have mental health struggles as a Jesus follower.

“I struggled with my faith. Why, if I’m saved, why don’t I have peace?” Kessler explained. “The Bible says, if you’re saved you have peace, right? You know. Or, if you’re saved, then you have joy. Those are the byproducts of being a Christian, and so I didn’t understand why I didn’t have those things. So I really struggled in my faith and not knowing what to do.”






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...