Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Entrance of His Words

“The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding to the simple.” 
Psalm 119:130

The theme verse in my church this year is “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” (Galatians 5:16) The emphasis is that we “Walk in the Spirit” in all we do, in our ministry and in our daily lives. This has led me to study the Holy Spirit in my Thompson Chain Reference Bible. I have been blessed learning about how God’s Spirit will abide with us continually, how that He is our Comforter, that He is our Guide into all truth, and that He enlightens our understanding, to name some of His works in and with the Children of Men.

Most of the blessings of this study have come from being reminded that God’s Holy Spirit is there guiding me and teaching me. He is showing me how to walk and where to walk. I am reminded, though, that this guidance does not come in a feeling (although it can) or a preset logic or something taught (although that may be true), but it comes in the entrance of His Words. 

When I read the Bible, I am gently moved to the right or the left by His Word. 

When I read the Bible, a section of Scripture may stand out to me and give me the direction I need for the day. 

When I read the Bible, a verse can settle me and give me rest.

This morning, as I was reading my daily Proverb, I was struck by “He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.” (Proverbs 13:3) 

Ouch, I said in my spirit. Oh Lord, how is it I can feel so great one minute about this blog "adventure" and be so humbled the next by the thought that I am in a state of opening wide my lips by the words I write? Lord, please keep me close and humble, so that I can be used by You to bless others with this gift You have given me.

And just as quickly, in my readings about the Holy Spirit, Jesus wraps His arms around my heart, giving a gentle hug with “ … he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever … even the spirit of truth … for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.” (John 14:16, 17) 

Yes, Lord, You are with me in this venture. Because You dwell in me, I can rest in this awesome task I believe you have given me. That does not mean I won’t fail, that I won’t get prideful, but despite those likely results from time to time, You will abide with me. You are abiding in me.

Thank you, Lord. 

Ankor Wat, Cambodia. (2000)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...