Friday, May 03, 2013

Pearls Before Swine


“Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words.”
Proverbs 23:9

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.”Matthew 7:6


Pearls before swine.

Just those three words paint a very strange and descriptive picture, and one that I think is not very pleasant. It leads me to consider how often I go about my conversations with others, hoping to give some godly, Biblical advice, and yet sometimes there is a catch in my spirit that does not give me liberty to do so. I come back to the truths expressed in these verses above. One who does not and will not listen to sound wisdom is one who we ought not to present our understanding.

Isn’t that a strange concept when we are commanded to preach the gospel everywhere and to be a witness? I believe God has given us a guide in these verses, letting us know that not everyone will receive truth, so don’t even try because, in effect, you are casting your pearls of wisdom before the swine, the fool. It’s sad to think there are people in the world, whom God died for, but whom He considers dogs and swine in their understanding. Unable to grasp the truths of His word and apply them to their lives.

And as if that wasn’t a bleak enough picture, He even says the giver of wisdom will be despised by the dogs and swine and that they will do evil to the wisdom giver.

Now, I feel led to say, I believe the Bible teaches that the Gospel should be given to all men, everywhere. Perhaps the truths expressed in these verses above provide a balance by guiding us that not everybody’s mind will be changed. In fact, there are some who we ought not to talk with further beyond the Gospel.

I apply this in my day-to-day dealings with others. How that, sometimes, by casting God’s pearls of wisdom before others, I may be setting myself up to be despised, and possibly injured. And if I do this despite the Holy Spirit’s leading not to, I am at fault, not God. However, if God leads me to say something, that is another story altogether.

It’s not a very nice picture of some people, myself included, as I know I am not always “ready” to hear God’s truth. Thankfully, though, we can trust God’s Holy Spirit to not only lead us and guide us when we should or should not dispense to others what we may have beautifully learned in God’s word, but that He also will help us get ready to hear the truths He’s waiting to tell us.

“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: … a time to keep silence, and a time to speak.”—Ecclesiastes 3:1 and 7b

Village of Tescan, Romania. (2004)



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...